Monday, January 2, 2012

Educated folks


Everyone should be proud of any accomplishment but when does being proud turns into bragging? You never really know how a person feels when you slap them with " because I have a degree" Just some random girl talk opened my eyes to what other people really and truly thought about those who throw their education in everyone face. Being that I am a college graduate I can fully understand the happiness and joy a person may feel to have received any type of degree. But even for me it bothers me when people use the "I have a degree "term on the regular. The fact that you have a degree is not relevant in every conversation, if you are having a casual conversation people really don't want to hear that. If a person knows you then I am pretty sure they also know your educational background. If the conversation is about school or even job opportunities then it's more appropriate. During the girl talk I could totally relate to the fact that maybe this person did not have someone to push them to do better, they had a very bad childhood and maybe have not recovered from it, maybe they want to go to school but don't know where to start. I use to hate the saying "school is not for everyone" now I get it, there are truly successful non famous people without degrees and the fact that you have a piece of paper does not make you any better. Sometimes I feel that by people always throwing around credentials they are trying to make themselves appear to be better than others. By no means am I telling anyone not to be proud of having a degree, but at the end of the day you have to been mindful of those who did not have the opportunity to experience such a wonderful accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment